Saturday, 3 January 2009

Arm warmers - first attempt

This is the result of my first attempt at a pair of arm warmers. If you look closely you can see at the top where I totally botched the moss stitch/rib stitch - but I have worked out what went wrong so it won't happen again hopefully! They are a bit of a mess really, and sewing them together was a bit nerve-wracking - I'm sure my sewing is the messiest in the world! - but it was easy enough once I got going - just had to remember to leave a hole for my thumb to go through!

I'm already half-way through my second pair, which are shaping up to be a bit neater already, and I'm doing them all in rib stitch. I have also found a much tidier way of changing colours than I used on the first pair. If you're not sure about this, there is a really helpful video demonstration half way down this page, which explains it really well, so that even I can understand! lol.

7 comments:

  1. They look excellent. And I love the colours. I've started mine in green, but I'm probably going to alternate with "natural".

    Must actually post what I'm upto on here!!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh Debs they're lovely - even our Lana is impressed and she is just typical hard to impress teenager, so that gives them a real good thumbs up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the pattern from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not really a pattern - I copied K's idea from here:

    http://acraftyblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/arm-warmers.html

    where you just knit a straight piece as though you're doing a scarf, and then fold it over to make a tube, and sew the edge together, leaving a hole for your thumb to go through.

    I used 40 stitches because I've got fat arms! 5 rows of knit, then stocking stitch (knit a row, purl a row), changing colour every 5 rows, and then it was meant to be rib stitch for the last 5 rows but it all went horribly wrong, and so the last 5 rows are a bit of a mess! There are 65 rows in all.

    Not sure if I've explained that very well, but they are really simple - as easy as a scarf! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great Debs!! I love the colours.
    Thankyou also for explaining what stocking stitch is - I've seen it on several patterns and wondered what it meant! ( You can tell I've got a long way to go with this knitting malarky!!).
    I've found a couple of patterns now that I can almost understand - its like another language! So am going to attempt one of them next, instead of just making it up as I go!!
    K X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck K! I'm not quite brave enough for patterns yet. I'm lucky because my mum taught me the basics when I was a girl, casting on and off, the different stitches etc, so I do at least have a vague idea of what different stitches should look like. Having said that, when I made my scarf I had to look up on the internet how to cast off! I just had a complete mental block, lol. xx

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you :)