Well, here's my second try at making a pair of arm warmers. Think I'm getting the hang of it! They are much neater and less tatty looking than the first, and also a better fit because of the stitch I used.
I used 40 stitches, and worked the whole thing in a rib stitch, knit 2, purl 2. If you have an even number of stitches and start each row on a knit, you will end up with a nice rib stitch. I tidied up the ends and changed colours and everything much better than with the first pair - learning all the time! There are 65 rows in all. Because of the rib stitch they are a better fit than the first pair - rib stitch looks narrower but is stretchier so they do fit 'like a glove'. The first pair, done in stocking stitch, are a little bit baggy.
So it's straight onto the next project - my 2 year old son has requested a green scarf with pink stripes, but I have no pink wool (shame!), so he may have to make do with the purple I've used here. :)