Sunday, 4 January 2009

Arm warmers - second attempt

Well, here's my second try at making a pair of arm warmers. Think I'm getting the hang of it! They are much neater and less tatty looking than the first, and also a better fit because of the stitch I used.

I used 40 stitches, and worked the whole thing in a rib stitch, knit 2, purl 2. If you have an even number of stitches and start each row on a knit, you will end up with a nice rib stitch. I tidied up the ends and changed colours and everything much better than with the first pair - learning all the time! There are 65 rows in all. Because of the rib stitch they are a better fit than the first pair - rib stitch looks narrower but is stretchier so they do fit 'like a glove'. The first pair, done in stocking stitch, are a little bit baggy.

So it's straight onto the next project - my 2 year old son has requested a green scarf with pink stripes, but I have no pink wool (shame!), so he may have to make do with the purple I've used here. :)

4 comments:

  1. I really love those, DD has resquested a pair so I'll have a go ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really great! Think I'm going to have to have a go with the rib stitch now! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fab! I love the rib. You fairly whizz away at the knitting. I've only just finished one hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're luvverly Debs :-) just my fave colour too x

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you :)