Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Granny Square Pattern

I thought I'd put the pattern I'm using for the Granny Squares on here. If anybody is struggling/yet to learn, I hope it will help them - I've found it far and away the easiest to follow. I'm going to copy it word for word from The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman, which I think is an American book, meaning some of the stitches may be called different things than they are in the UK (just to keep us on our toes!) - so I shall reproduce the explanations of the stitches too. Here goes:

Chain stitch:

1 Yarn round hook
2 Pull yarn through stitch on hook

Slip stitch:

1 Insert hook into next stitch
2 Yarn round hook
3 Pull yarn through both loops on hook

Double crochet stitch:

1 Yarn round hook
2 Insert hook into next stitch (or into the space below the stitch for Granny Squares)
3 Pull yarn through stitch (3 loops on hook)
4 Yarn round hook
5 Pull yarn through 2 hoops on hook
6 Repeat steps 4 and 5.

GRANNY SQUARE PATTERN

MC = Main colour
CC = Contrasting colour
dc = double crochet
ch = chain

With MC, ch 4, join with a slip stitch to form ring.

Round One: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in ring, *ch 1, 3 dc in ring; repeat from *two more times, ch 1, join to top of ch-3 with a slip stitch. Cut off MC and end off.

Round Two: Attach CC in any chain space. (Ch 3, 2 dc, ch1, 3 dc, ch1) in chain space, *(3 dc, ch1, 3dc, ch1) in next chain space; repeat from *two more times, join to top of ch-3. Cut CC and end off.

Round Three: Attach MC to any space between groups. (Ch 3, 2 dc, ch1) in chain space, *(3 dc, ch1, 3 dc) in next chain space, ch 1; 3 dc in next space, ch 1, repeat from *two more times, (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next space, ch 1, join with slip stitch. Break MC.

See how you are increasing 3 stitches in each of the four corners, with groups of 3 dc in each chain space? With each additional round, you continue to work increased in the corners separated by groups of 3 dc in between. You can continue doing this ad infinitum.

That's how it's laid out in the book. I find, as long as you remember you have to do a chain stitch after every 3 dc, and that you need two groups of 3 dc in each corner, you can't go wrong.

I hope that's a help. If anyone still has any problems I'll try and help, but I'm only a beginner myself so might not be able to! lol. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Debs, I'm hoping this will all become clear!! Had a first attempt at crocheting last night using a book my mum gave me. I didn't get anywhere at all with that - ended up completely confused (it doesn't take much!). Think I'll have to have a look at those youtube clips to get my head round the basics, then hopefully I'll be able to follow what you've posted. Feeling a bit thick at the moment :0(

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you :)