Tuesday, 6 January 2009

Needle felting tips anyone?

I have decided I would like to needle felt. I think it will bring a totally new dimension to the wet felted stuff I make. Trouble is I don't really know where to start. I think it's just a matter of practice 'stabbing' the felt with a special needle but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a supplier of felting needles and pads. Apparently the needles break very easily so I may need a fair few - particularly while still in the 'practice' stage.

Any top tips would be great too.

Cheers my dears.

5 comments:

  1. Felting is something I'd to try - myriad sell kits might be worth on their website.

    hth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a kit on sale last year, and it was missing the needles! So I still haven't tried it. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/index.php

    Ive used the people above to get all our felting wool and needles. There very good. I found the higher guaged needles work best but do snap very easily. I think a gauge 36 is best, but we haven't bought any for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started needle felting a little over a year ago. I've tried wet felting a couple of times, but it's just not my thing (though I still would like to try a nuno felted scarf one day). Needle felting, however, I just love and I find it very relaxing and rewarding. I use four different needle sizes: a thick one, a medium one, a fine one and ultra fine one. I start out with the thickest needle and as the work progresses I switch to the smaller ones, ending with the ultra fine needle for the finishing touch. As already mentioned by others, the needles tend to snap easily. Therefore it's important not to bend the needle but to move it perpendicularly to the work. Also, you'll need some foam pad to put underneath. It's important to flip over the work from time to time to avoid it get's stuck to the foam pad. I've a couple of posts about some projects I made on my blog: http://pm-betweenthelines.blogspot.com/ Feel free to check it out and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all the hints. Off to check out links.

    x

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you :)