Sunday, 19 April 2009

Equality

I have posted for advice on a forum that I belong to, but as this is a craft blog I thought I would ask for advice here too.
I have taught my daughter and my eldest three sons to crochet and knit. My elesdt son (8) is a really good knitter.
Recently we joined a Knit and Natter group and we've been knitting things for charity. This has given him a lot of motivation and he's been knitting every spare minute he has. I am very proud of him but one of my friends has a son six weeks older then mine and she said that her son said he wouldn't be seen dead knitting and if his father saw him knitting he wouldn't like it at all!
My DH is fine with the boys knitting and has said that we would let our daughter do things that may be considered more for a boy than a girl and I do agree with him.
I thought I was being quite forward thinking in not putting my children into stereotypical sexist groups. What does any one else think?

8 comments:

  1. I don't think its a problem.... but there is still the stereotypical (sp?) images out there...girls knit and boys climb trees iyswim. My DD likes to knit and one of my boys is interested. Bridget I think you should ignore your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you shouldn't worry about it. The person who said that obviously has some traditional views about gender roles, or not wanting to be different or something, but your son is happy doing something he loves, so who cares what anyone thinks?

    Was your son upset by the remark?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my daughter was at the Steiner School all the boys of that age were doing knitting in handwork class and it never seemed to be an issue for them, I guess its that peer group thing - they were all taking part so it didn't seem unusual, as well as parental attitudes.
    If your son is enjoying it I would encourage him as much as possible - I think its very sad when these kind of attitudes to gender-defined roles put kids off an activity they enjoy.
    It sounds like you and your family are quite happy with it, don't let other people's opinions ruin that. Personally I think its great - I'm not surprised you're proud of him, I would be too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey up petal
    now then I'm going to post to add some male knitters and crocheters into a post on here for your perusal - maybe you could show it your friend.
    Our Connor is all vibrant male and he likes crocheting - share that with your son if he needs company .
    right I'm off to do that post now xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eldest son has been soft dollmaking lately, he finds it therapeutic, being really quite ill atm, and my dad was a doctor (A&E), and enjoyed embroidery, he stitched some amazing works.
    E
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for your comments ladies. Yesterday we had St. Georges parade for Beavers and Cubs, all four of my sons were in handknitted jumpers by yours truly at the bar-b-que later. One of the leaders noticed them and asked if I'd go to a Beavers session and teach them how to knit. I was chuffed. I don't know if any of you experience this feeling, you know the one when you're plodding along nicely believing in what you do and then somebody comes along, says something to you and you're a mass of doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that feeling well Bridget!! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. As far as I know, didn't army lads and shepherds knit their own socks and all that?
    Try this
    http://www.menknit.net/history.html

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you :)